Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Follow Christina_isn't_creative On Twitter

harnk, blink twice if you need to be rescued

Quote Originally Posted by Harnky View Post
    I now believe this to be a masterpiece. A full 180 for me. I’m hooked in a Skeletal Lamping way
    Can’t stand in a supermarket for too long...

Follow Harnky On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Christina_isn't_creative View Post
    harnk, blink twice if you need to be rescued

i believe the chorus of writing the circles to be a masterstroke.

Follow Christina_isn't_creative On Twitter

i like the first halves of all of the songs, honestly. sophie calle is the only one i enjoy listening to fully thru tho

Quote Originally Posted by one-headedboy View Post
    Some of the lyrics are kind of cringeworthy. Musically it’s a solid album and the mixing and mastering is supreme. It feels like it’s got the most depth out of any of his records. But i read somewhere this was like his white privilege “woke” record (the title would also imply that), yet he had a 3 album cycle where he appropriated another race and sexual identity expression for “art.” Like what does Kevin actually know about being a trans person of color (trans womxn of color being the most vulnerable people in American society). Also going back to the last album his first two songs are like “let’s relate Tell me about yourself” then “oh it’s different for girls it’s so hard but let’s party” then the rest of the album is him trashing ex gfs. WhyTF would I want to relate with someone like that on any level? But the masses really seem to eat that shit up. #capitalism /rant
    I think the whole "white privilege" aspect of White is relic is all marketing
    and an attempt to make oM relevant in 2018. The only reference to race on the album is the phrase "gentrification in reverse" which is more of a jab at Brooklyn hipsters than having anything to do with race relations. It's really as shalllow a reference as Kid Without Claws's "gentrified ebonics."

The whole idea really is to create some type of story behind the album to make it seem unique and interesting. KB releases so much music his label can't just toss out an album and say "here it is" without some context. It doesn't hurt that KBs apparent inspirations for the albums are "buzzworthy" (Trump and so on).
    Perhaps if KB didn't try to make some sort of surface narrative to the material the album would have been a Sybaritic Peer release much like Rune Husk was, unfortunately.

Anyway I'm all for KB selling out so he can stay a signed artist after so many lean years in the biz. I think he can make a living dressing in drag and hiring people to gyrate on him on stage for only a little while longer.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819