Default Another open letter to Jeff Mangum

hello

do you think he'll like it? : )

Roscoe Holcomb was my avatar here for a long time until I guess the site hosting the picture must have expired or something. I'm a huge fan of his.I don't know if this is why you posted the pic but imo Jeff has a very similar vocal tone to Holcomb in that they both sing through their nose. It's been described as the "high lonesome sound." Karen Dalton also is someone who I think would fit into this category.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldopa View Post
    Roscoe Holcomb was my avatar here for a long time until I guess the site hosting the picture must have expired or something. I'm a huge fan of his.I don't know if this is why you posted the pic but imo Jeff has a very similar vocal tone to Holcomb in that they both sing through their nose. It's been described as the "high lonesome sound." Karen Dalton also is someone who I think would fit into this category.
    Yes! I'm guessing Jeff would be familiar with Holcomb. They both have this intense nasally vocal flavor seldom found outside of Appalachian/American folk. I'm a vocalist myself, and while their technique isn't exactly something you should emulate, especially if you're untrained, it leads to these grand emotional belts Jeff and NMH are known for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldopa View Post
    But remember when your avatar was a pic of me at age 15?

Quote Originally Posted by one-headedboy View Post
    But remember when your avatar was a pic of me at age 15?

Yea looking back I kinda feel bad about it, but at the time I just couldn't resist. You had this face that said "thugged out and I know it" that at the time I just found absolutely hysterically funny. I could still picture it clearly in my mind.