Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default On the flipside of obsession / what I still listen to

I remember when I first discovered "Elephant Six" many many moons ago. In fact, I was listening to bands like OTC and Beulah before I even knew of Elephant 6. Anyway, I was obsessed for years and bought everything and anything related (e.g., Sixth Great Lake, Kingsauce, Thimble Circus, etc.), and was perhaps under a spell, romanticizing the idea of E6 more than appreciating the true value of the music. What I mean is, there were many albums which I loved back then which I can now objectively say are not that great (in my opinion) - which I attribute to the halo effect which E6 had on my tastes

This thread is not to say which albums you think are shit (but feel free to) - but rather which you still hold in very high regard (meaning you still listen to with some level of frequency):

These are the records I've listened to in the last 12 months (or so)

1) Summer Hymns - Voice Brother & Sister
    2) The Minders - Hooray for Tuesday
    3) Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage
    4) Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over the Seas
    5) Ladybug Transistor - The Albemarle Sound
    6) Sunshine FIx - Age of the Sun

I've excluded of Montreal from the list for a few reasons - but mostly because I'm still thoroughly engaged with them.

Regardless of what you like or love or think has merit - what "E6" stuff have you listened to lately?

I regularly listen to of Montreal, but there are a few records that every time I revisit I am just like "holy shit."

Circulatory System - Signal Morning
    Otc - Dusk
    NMH -On Avery Island.
    Nana Grizol - Love it Love it

I haven't really been listening to a lot of E6 in the past year or two, aside from the ever-present of Montreal. But I have listened to these oldies recently:

Olivia Tremor Control Black Foliage
    Circulatory System Circulatory System
    of Montreal Skeletal Lamping
    Gerbils The Battle of Electricity
    Nesey Gallons Eyes & Eyes & Eyes Ago

First three are definitely my E6 go-tos. I like to listen to the Gerbils once in a while. I think this was the first time I'd ever listened to my Nesey record.

Quote Originally Posted by Harnky View Post
    1) Summer Hymns - Voice Brother & Sister
    2) The Minders - Hooray for Tuesday
    3) Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage
    4) Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over the Seas
    5) Ladybug Transistor - The Albemarle Sound
    6) Sunshine FIx - Age of the Sun
    I listened to all of these about 2 months ago. Some multiple times!

Typically I try to keep elephant six albums in rotation pretty regularly.
    Specifically this month it's been the new of Montreal, the minders (the new ones great!) the essex green, the OTC, the late B.P Helium... Some early oM!

Usually the fall is when I bust out some music tapes and nesey. Looking forward to that!

I wear my E6 shirt regularly too...

Quote Originally Posted by nighsgrandmother View Post
    I listened to all of these about 2 months ago. Some multiple times!

Typically I try to keep elephant six albums in rotation pretty regularly.
    Specifically this month it's been the new of Montreal, the minders (the new ones great!) the essex green, the OTC, the late B.P Helium... Some early oM!

Usually the fall is when I bust out some music tapes and nesey. Looking forward to that!

I wear my E6 shirt regularly too...
    Late BP Helium was a one and done one for me. Never touched it after my first listen. I still like Everything is Green.

Yeah really hard to re-listen to a lot of the old E6 stuff I used to play on repeat. I really overplayed the majority of e6 material for myself.

The onlt albums that I really re-visit are Dusk at Cubist Castle and ITAOTS. Those are great and always will be for me. Love those bands other albums too.

Really can't listen to anything of Montreal has done since Hissing Fauna, although I respect Skeletal Lamping.

Mostly just Beulah and the Apples in stereo, actually. Yoko and The Coast is Never Clear are very good records, and on the Apples side I really got into some of Tone Soul Evolution, like "You Said That Last Night" (now an all-time favourite) and "Tin Pan Alley". But I really can't listen to OTC, NMH, of Montreal... I dunno. I guess I didn't realise how much of an asshole Kevin Barnes is and... that makes it hard to listen to a lot of that stuff, never mind that I burned out on it as well. False Priest is occasionally good for a spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumsandfire View Post
    You're already playing, buttpopsicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Harnky View Post
    Late BP Helium was a one and done one for me. Never touched it after my first listen. I still like Everything is Green.
    Really!? Interesting! I think Amok is a pretty solid album. Lots of great guitar work permeating from B.P.

Everything is green and cannibal sea are the ones I've been listening to.

Also, last night I remembered I recently scored a vinyl copy of Great Lakes first record. That's had some
    play too and will more often now.
    (Vinyl always does for me)

Lastly, that new minders record... Premium! Y'all should check that out!

ITAotS is so played out. NMH hasn't aged well.

My black foliage CD skips a lot so I have to dig out my vinyl if I want to hear it the right way

However the Circulatory System self titled is on my Zune.... so I'm able to listen to that a lot more.
    I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast