Thread: last year

Default last year

I went to see the music tapes at the Vera project in Seattle about a year ago, I just stumbled upon a review I wrote of the show. I figured I'd post it here!

- The music tapes traveling imaginary show, on may 9th, the earlier of two shows they played that evening was.... The most unique, extraordinary and
    mesmerizing concert I have ever attended.
    I walked into the venue, and along with a stamp on my hand in the shape of a star, I was handed a blindfold and was asked to put it on when necessary throughout the course of the show. Immediately after that I walked over to the merch table, where the horn player and co founder of the music tapes Robbie Was
    overseeing his goods. I said hello and he did the same. When suddenly the sound of the ring master Julian, his voice came out through a megaphone announcing "hello ladies and gentlemen the traveling imaginary welcomes you!"
    Proceeding to walk through the doors, I came upon the outside of the circus tent. All red and yellow and awing, dawned with homemade games like the "penny & the bell" and "traditional bean bag toss" I took part in penny and the bell and actually won! Julian came out and asked to see the winners which was myself and another gentleman, and Julian proceeded to ask me my name, which he announced over his megaphone saying "ladies and gentleman lets give a big round of applause to Tim our first winner!" I bowed gracefully, then Julian said "see me after the show to collect your prize!" Next I then followed the crowd of about twenty people over to the next amusing game called catch the firefly. Two people had giant empty old fashioned lamps that they would run around with, they were called the catchers. While the other players Tried to avoid them by running around all while holding a flameless candle, these were the fire flies. It was a giant game of tag essentially, but when tagged you put your candle into the empty lamp. A few winners were declared and now it was time to enter the circus tent!
    Upon walking in, the band began playing the singing saws and announced on the megaphone to have a seat and make ourselves comfortable inside the tent. We were faced with a giant screen, when suddenly a old fashion Mickey Mouse movie began playing from a projector behind us. The film was amusing, but I was too excited for the music to start, which it soon did!
    The stage was set up with an array of instruments such as banjos, musical saws, mini pianos, tubas, trumpets, a giant bell sort of instrument, a bass guitar, a drum set and a few violin bows to use while playing bowed banjos. Also the stage had a few home made members of the band playing along, such as "the 7 foot tall metronome" and "static" the talking and singing television with a face!
    Throughout the show the band played a few songs from their first two albums but mostly played material from the new album called Mary's voice. The songs were preformed excellently live, In between songs Julian would tell amazing and strange stories, all while random things happened. It stated artificially snowing from a machine above my head! We were asked to blindfold ourselves during a segment of the show while strange recordings played over head. Eventually were told to drop the blindfold revealing a giant artificial snowman in the tent, and another game commenced! A contestant put on a glove that was attached to the snowmans arm and then the contestant was handed a snow ball which he was to throw at a large glowing hoop!!! When the game was complete the snow man melted, or rather deflated and summer was promised to come to seattle!
    After that, more beautiful music and stories preceded. The whole time everyone was seated and it was just amazing. I personally felt as though I was a child watching a circus performance, my mind was filled with wonder and awe the entire time. After the beautiful closing song, Julian asked the prize winners to see him in the middle of the tent. He dragged over a ravaged old suitcase which inside contained prizes. Marbles from his own personal collection, candy cane ornaments for your christmas tree, or a piece of a so claimed original Andy Warhol aluminum space blanket that he found beside a dumpster. I decided upon a marble, and after I stared at it a moment, I reached out my hand to Julian, who shook my hand with such a genuine shake. I said thank you to him, and he said hi.
    Continuing on I then wandered out of the tent amazed at the events I just witnessed knowing that I will never forget how unique it was and how for the entire time I felt like a 7 year old boy at the circus. Before I left the venue I traveled to the merch table and bought a limited poster, and thanked the two other band members for putting on a fantastic show. When finally leaving and walking to my car, I just thought of the magic of the night and the thought of how very special I felt to be a part of it. It all felt so imaginary, but it truly was real..."Tonight I ran away from home and saw the music tapes!"

wow how cool. Yeah I would be all down so flipping modern. lol.

So when you say you felt like a 7 year old is it safe to say you almost traveled back into time some way? I think so.

I've been wondering how they do that game with the fire flies and what that's all about.
    I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

Quote Originally Posted by BrainDamege View Post
    So when you say you felt like a 7 year old is it safe to say you almost traveled back into time some way? I think so.
    Safe to say! Just the atmosphere the band created felt truly like magic! It was overwhelming! Made me feel innocent! Plus there was a few children with their parents in the tent, so I probably subconsciously made the association of feeling like one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nighsgrandmother View Post
    Plus there was a few children with their parents in the tent, so I probably subconsciously made the association of feeling like one of them.
    Aww... julian is so sweet. He's bridging the generational gap lol!!!