Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Julian Koster's influences

I was wondering where I could find some of those eastern tunes The Music Tapes take inspiration from in songs like Jesus Blood, Kolyada, etc. I know some Klezmer music by Moni Ovadia but its melodies are not so stretched, long and beautiful like the ones of Julian.

Well, "Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet" is a piece by the British composer Gavin Bryars, and the Kolyadas are all Ukrainian Christmas songs, which you can find particularly on this album: http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdeta...px?itemid=1194 .

3. Default

Wow you know many things. Thank you.

Everybody knew that.

5. Default

Did everybody knew about your sympathy too, Abel?

I know for a fact that Julian had to have been influenced by traditional European folk...
    Hybrid Sheep Organizer is a band from Boise, Idaho.
    Remember, someone loves you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hybridsheeporganizer View Post
    I know for a fact that Julian had to have been influenced by traditional European folk...
    Yes.

His dad is a Flamenco guitarist. He talked once of having gypsies over when he was a child and his father playing music all night and I was like... "yes I was going to say 'classical training translates'...."
    I know damage is spelled damage but I got too creative trying to utilize dame in brain dame age.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Hey BrainDamege, you're a good writer. Do you want to write news articles on my blog?

I can tell you that we had a conversation one time about how we both think that Life's Rich Pagaent is the best R.E.M. album.

The Aeroplane Over the Sea book claimed he liked to drive the van and jam out to They Might Be Giants. I can definitely hear some influence of Daniel Johnston and Jeff Mangum/Neutral Milk. I've heard some people compare him to Sufjan Stevens but I don't really hear that or an influence of Sufjan in his music. Julian is one of a kind for sure...GENIOUS>>...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast