Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default what IS the black foliage?

i can't seem to figure out what black foliage represents.. this maybe the most succinct lyrics to try to figure out a meaning:

"don't try to throw away the skies you keep in there
    try to throw away the disguise
    just below things are changing
    the sky is going to rain inside tonight
    try to throw away the flags of consciousness
    flow through the fields of time
    but when you pass the black foliage
    you can always change your mind
    "

but can anyone ask the man himself, or have heard from someone in the band, what black foliage represents? i feel like i'd "get" the record a little more if i found this puzzle piece.

edit: they also mention it in Outer Explorations, Pt 3 in the dream description soundclip.
    Last edited by djey308; 11-09-2009 at 01:34 PM.

its whatever you want it to be

yea, i always thought it was some kind of unrealized subconscious areas of the mind, but i kind of wanted to play investigator and see what will/bill were thinking when writing the lyrics.

aah! maybe black foliage is the questions you are seeking... so to seek the meaning of black foliage is to seek seeking!! AAHH!!

olivia is a psych/surreal/dream fanatsy band - don't ruin them by looking for cohesion.

yeah, i actually think that's pretty good advice. there was a mckenna talk i heard recently that said some things should be left uncomprehended, which i agreed with.

**thread abandoned**
    Last edited by djey308; 11-13-2009 at 12:05 PM.

black foliage=dark matter - somehow you know it's out there but have no idea what, or where, it is.

Are you sad about your mountain? ̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳t̥̮͖͌ͭͦ̂ͩͨ́̐͝͞?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳☻͉̪̾͌̇̉̋̍ͬ̏͆͆͒̄̀|͖̲͇̰̀ͬ̈́̃̂̅͆̌̎̈́͒ ̎͗̈͌ ͊͒ͧ͢͢|̢͌̿ͮͨ̂̓̇Was this a continent you liked?,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
    At the concert I saw he just said, "All I wanna say is, Sonic the Hedgehog. Just Once. Sonic the Hedgehog. Okay, Twice."
    ?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳ |͆̆ͯ̓͐ͮ͛̀͊͗ͮ̈́̔̌͗|̡̉̈ͪ́͘

You had me at Helvetica.

i never understood why people always feel the need to look for fact, truth, explanation and reason in things... ambiguity is like the best thing ever.

Are you sad about your mountain? ̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳t̥̮͖͌ͭͦ̂ͩͨ́̐͝͞?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳☻͉̪̾͌̇̉̋̍ͬ̏͆͆͒̄̀|͖̲͇̰̀ͬ̈́̃̂̅͆̌̎̈́͒ ̎͗̈͌ ͊͒ͧ͢͢|̢͌̿ͮͨ̂̓̇Was this a continent you liked?,
    At the concert I saw he just said, "All I wanna say is, Sonic the Hedgehog. Just Once. Sonic the Hedgehog. Okay, Twice."
    ?̵̧͈̹̫̰̪̰̝̭̒̌ͫ̈ ̖̱̩̟̣̝͖̯̱͋̂̈́̅͟͝d̬͍̍ͬ̆ͮ̂̀͡͞ ̈́͂̌̉͏̶̟͔̹̫̳ |͆̆ͯ̓͐ͮ͛̀͊͗ͮ̈́̔̌͗|̡̉̈ͪ́͘

You had me at Helvetica.

You had me at Helvetica.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast